- Have a hot topic. The more unique your expertise and the more important the topic in terms of seriousness or money at stake, the better.
- Inherent credibility. This can be based on your experience in the field, publication record, etc.
- Write on the topic you want to speak on. Not only will this bring you inherent credibility, your writing will make you easier to locate, especially online.
- Responsive. Pick up your phone and get back to people right away.
- Easy to deal with. Don’t demand first class air travel or never be available for conference calls.
- Reputation as an effective presenter. Whoever hires you will want you to do a good job. Your reputation as an effective presenter is invaluable in sealing the deal.
- Putting yourself out there – web presence and actively reaching out. Your web presence on a narrow niche will help with search engine optimization. Reach out to meeting planners who are actively seeking speakers.
- Get some experience and build a name for yourself. This may involve being willing to do some teaching gratis or at a nominal fee. If possible, teach with a polished presenter who can show you the ropes.
- Keep in contact with previous speaking clients. If they were pleased with you they will often have you back in the future, but you want to stay in front of them.
- Blogging on a topic. This will both develop your expertise and make yourself easier to find online.
For more on making money from writing and speaking, please see SEAK’s seminar, How to Earn Money as a Physician Writer, which will be held on September 20-21 in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. SEAK’s current schedule of seminars for physicians can be found by clicking here.
James J. Mangraviti, Jr., Esq. is the co-author of 27 books. He has had books published by Wolters Kluwer, Aspen, St. Martins, Wiley and Apress. In addition, he has self-published numerous books through his company, SEAK, Inc. Mr. Mangraviti’s titles have generated sales of several million dollars and have helped him to launch, expand, and nurture a successful career in lecturing, customized training and consulting. One of his consulting specialties is showing physicians how to supplement their income. Mr. Mangraviti currently serves as Principal of SEAK, Inc. He received his JD cum laude from Boston College Law School and his BA summa cum laude from Boston College. He is the co-creator and a faculty member for SEAK’s seminar entitled How to Earn Money as a Physician Writer.